Tuesday, January 24, 2012

superbowl

Out of the maybe one or two things Jay and I have in common is a love of football - NFL football to be specific. I'm a hardcore Pittsburg Steelers fan and Jay is a hardcore Green Bay Packers fan. (As you can see, even the things we have in common tend to end up being us having nothing in common.) Three years ago I decided to hold a Superbowl Party for no other reason than I wanted to do something to break up the winter blahs and with that a tradition began. Every year for as long as I'm physically able to we'll have a party on the first Sunday in February. (And completely ignore the Grey Cup game - the Canadian version of Superbowl.)
Last year I had the idea to cook a dish to represent 4 of the eight teams remaining. I made Wisconsin brats for Green Bay, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza for the Bears, Devonshire Sandwiches for Pittsburg and New York Cheesecake for the Jets. The company was great, the food was to die for, the game - not so much. (Pittsburg lost to Green Bay. I'm *still* hearing about it to this day.)
I started planning this year's Superbowl party about a month ago. (Unfortunately, both the Steelers and the Packers didn't share my idea of showing up for Superbowl Sunday alongside us.) Because I always have to out-do even myself, here's the menu for this year, representing the final four. (Sort of)

San Francisco 49ers - Homemade Rice-a-Roni
Baltimore Ravens - Crab Cakes
New England Patriots - Boston Creme Pie

And here's where the "sort of" comes in -

New York Giants beat the Green Bay Packers.
Denver Broncos beat the Pittsburg Steelers.
Unfortunately for them, I'm the gal in charge. Given that ....

Green Bay Packers - Deep Fried Cheese Curds
Pittsburg Steelers - Devonshire Sandwiches

And the crowning touch will be my attempt to make this -

Wish me luck :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

I love the underdogs the most!