Thursday, April 1, 2010

meeting izzy

I phoned my mom the other day. It'd been FIVE DAYS since I spoke to her.

"Hi mom."

(Do keep in mind that I'm her *only* daughter which in my world means there could only be one female voice that would call her "mom.")

"Who's this?"

"Your daughter."

"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't recognize your voice."

And they wonder why I can consider 2 p.m. a good time to have a drink.

**********

Tasha phoned me yesterday.

"Hey Tasha."

"Hey. What time is it?"

"Two forty two."

"K, thanks. Talk to you later."

"Wait. Hang on a sec. Did you seriously just call me to ask me what time it was???"

"Yeah. I'm outside with William and we're not near the house and I needed to know what time it was and I'm too lazy to walk up to the house."

I was tempted to call Tara to suggest she start calling her mother in law to find out the time. Seeing how Tara was blessed with the mother in law from hell, it would be good for a laugh.

**********

Back when I was a kid, my dad and another man went into business together. Business was good, they bought 20 acres of land together, built two houses on the land and that was my childhood. The partner had two children. In time, like all of us, those children went on to marry and have children of their own. One of those "babies" was a girl named Monica. Her and Tara pretty much grew up together and are still close friends to this day. Ten weeks ago Monica had a baby girl named Isabelle, her first. Tasha and I finally got to meet her this past Monday. Now don't get me wrong, this baby is CUTE. Beyond cute even. Unfortunately, it ends there. Other than a fifteen minute nap, she screamed the whole time. Honestly, I thought Claudia had Birth Control Poster Child of the year sewn up. Izzy has beat her out. Honestly, how many times can you say "She really *is* beautiful!" before mom finally tunes into the fact that you can't think of anything else to say. 

But hey, she really *is* beautiful!




Izzy

1 comment:

Tara said...

You need to send out messages to let me know that post are up!
Great post, btw. She really is beautiful.